so the second loaf i let rise a lot longer, but after an hour and a half it still hadn't risen very much. it did rise more when i put it in the oven, but at 450 the crust hardens up pretty quick, so it didn't get much bigger than a sandwich bun (though it would be perfect for that) and didn't have much of a crumb to speak of. the loaves are really small, which actually is okay since that means it would be fresher more often. i didn't do the scoring on top deep enough, and i need to work on my sliding the dough off the "peel" (i don't have a peel so i used a cutting board with lots of cornmeal on it) onto the pizza stone. but i did that okay on the second one, and the steam method was really successful i think. so i'm going to try it again. maybe i'll make a double loaf for a bigger size. it looked pretty nice though!
1 comment:
Fun! My loaves weren't real big either, but I'd say were close in size to what I got w/ the Almost No-Knead bread.
I don't have a peel either, or even a cutting board that would suffice. So, I've been using parchment paper. I let it rise on the parchment and then put the dough, along w/ the parchment onto the stone. I bake it on the parchment on the stone. I might look for a peel someday, but then it also just seems like one more thing to store.
Post a Comment